|Toilet on the outskirts of Lima, Peru Credit: REUTERS/MARIANA BAZO|
- 2.3 billion people – around one in three of the world's population – don't have a safe, clean, private toilet.
- Last year Water Aid helped 3.1 million people gain access to toilets.
- Around 315,000 children under five die every year from diarrhoea caused by unsafe water and poor sanitation – that's almost 900 children a day.
- Every year, around 60 million children are born into homes without access to sanitation.
- For every £1 invested in sanitation, there's around a £4 return. Health is improved, fewer days are lost to illness, and girls stay on at school for longer.