|Toilet on the outskirts of Lima, Peru Credit: REUTERS/MARIANA BAZO|
This toilet outside a family home on the outskirts of Lima Peru hardly warrants the name.
See the 'Wider image' in 'Around the World in 45 toilets' here for some stark contrasts in what most of us take for granted.
- 2.3 billion people – around one in three of the world's population – don't have a safe, clean, private toilet.
- Last year Water Aid helped 3.1 million people gain access to toilets.
- Around 315,000 children under five die every year from diarrhoea caused by unsafe water and poor sanitation – that's almost 900 children a day.
- Every year, around 60 million children are born into homes without access to sanitation.
- For every £1 invested in sanitation, there's around a £4 return. Health is improved, fewer days are lost to illness, and girls stay on at school for longer.
If you want to know more or think you can help, please visit Water Aid.