I read this when it came out and I wasn't too impressed. The author, I felt, drew too many conclusions from a small group (13) of subjects - mind you, she is by no means the only researcher to have done that! She spent a lot of time identifying the Welsh "Strong Woman"; this could have been useful but I felt it was something of an overplayed stereotype and that she had come to the study with certain presuppositions which she was eager to prove. In a later lecture, which I attended, she expanded this to Afro-Caribbean women. Having lived in West Africa for five years I felt that the comparison was not unhelpful. (That lecture, by the way, is the only time I've had any personal contact with Manon).
If your comment was referring to me, yes I have read it. I also have some experience (MA rather than PhD) in doing sociological/theological research and pulling together the text. So I do know that it isn't easy!
I have an MSc in 'Crisis Management', my professional purpose for many decades - but I'd be hard pressed to put a 20,000 word dissertation/thesis together focussed on the woes of the CinW and Dioc. of Bangor particularly.
Perhaps Outsider if you had focused on what it is that + are supposed to be doing instead of authoring and iconography, this whole debacle would not be quite so woefully sad..But then she did beat you once so why have a second fight you might loose….
Nor had I, because I'm a fairly recent arrival in Wales and not a Welsh speaker. Anyway, Menna is female and, from her biography, is very distinguished.
Jackanory, Jackanory......
ReplyDeleteI read this when it came out and I wasn't too impressed. The author, I felt, drew too many conclusions from a small group (13) of subjects - mind you, she is by no means the only researcher to have done that! She spent a lot of time identifying the Welsh "Strong Woman"; this could have been useful but I felt it was something of an overplayed stereotype and that she had come to the study with certain presuppositions which she was eager to prove. In a later lecture, which I attended, she expanded this to Afro-Caribbean women. Having lived in West Africa for five years I felt that the comparison was not unhelpful. (That lecture, by the way, is the only time I've had any personal contact with Manon).
ReplyDeleteI'm an author myself, so know what it takes to pull together a theological text. I'm guessing you've not read it, just here to mock?
ReplyDeleteOutsider
If your comment was referring to me, yes I have read it. I also have some experience (MA rather than PhD) in doing sociological/theological research and pulling together the text. So I do know that it isn't easy!
DeleteI have an MSc in 'Crisis Management', my professional purpose for many decades - but I'd be hard pressed to put a 20,000 word dissertation/thesis together focussed on the woes of the CinW and Dioc. of Bangor particularly.
DeletePerhaps Outsider if you had focused on what it is that + are supposed to be doing instead of authoring and iconography, this whole debacle would not be quite so woefully sad..But then she did beat you once so why have a second fight you might loose….
DeleteUseful for the next pandemic and panic buying of toilet paper.
ReplyDeleteBewildered
It s actually a very good book. A fine analysis of the poet Menna Elfyn.
ReplyDeleteWho?
DeleteNever heard of him!
Bewildered
Sometimes its good to keep our ignorance to ourselves
DeleteNor had I, because I'm a fairly recent arrival in Wales and not a Welsh speaker. Anyway, Menna is female and, from her biography, is very distinguished.
Delete